With the start of a new academic year fresh upon me I have decided to outline a few goals of mine for the coming 2015-2016 first year of University. For those that don’t know, I recently moved to Nottingham where I’ll be doing an undergraduate degree in English with Creative Writing. I’m determined to make this year an intellectually great one but we’ll see how that goes—I’m already slacking off on my reading.
- Read as much as possible as soon as possible! As an English student I’m going to be reading a lot of books, probably multiple at once, so to keep on top of it all and not get stressed out I’ll be needing to do lots as soon as I can.
- If possible, do some research ahead of time about thoughts and ideas I’ve had about the books. This might help me collect my thoughts together properly before seminars so I can have a clear, organised head going in.
- Make wise choices—don’t over/underwork. I have a tendency to become stressed about a number of academic issues and one of those is workload. I either think I’ve done too little or not enough and it’s really not healthy to be fretting the night before about things that can no longer be helped.
- Keep organised! I’ll be continuing to use my bullet journal to organise myself on a day-to-day basis whilst using my new wall calendar to mark down extra important dates which I’m scared may fall astray in the journal.
- Where appropriate (and when my chair finally arrives!) always study at my desk or in the library rather than on my bed as this will probably distract me.
- Treat yo self! I’m one of those people who have to eat and take time out to watch tv/films when I’m stressed. It’s still important for me to take this time to myself often, in spite of the workload.