In last month’s wrap up, I said I was terrified for August because it meant only seven weeks left until I moved back to uni. Well, now it’s September. I move back on the 23rd. Um, what?! Let’s not think about that for now though, let’s reminisce on all the super cool things I’ve been up to this month: from Cursed Child to interviewing my first famous faces.
books, glorious books
There was one book that ridiculously stuck out this month and that was Rupi Kaur’s milk and honey, a fierce feminist poetry collection that is heartbreaking and empowering and earth-shattering all in one. Somehow this month I managed to literally read fifteen books and I’m still a bit confused as to how I managed this?! Unfortunately, I read a lot of average books and only one five star this month, but it was still a great reading month all the same. And even better – I smashed through my 2016 Goodreads challenge of 60 books! As of right now, I’m on 66 and thinking about upping the goal to 100.
Read this month:
Finding Audrey – Sophie Kinsella | Love Song – Sophia Bennett | All the Rage – Courtney Summers | Dear Charlie – N.D. Gomes | Cruel Heart Broken – Emma Haughton | milk and honey – Rupi Kaur | The Square Root of Summer – Harriet Reuter Hapgood | Queen of Shadows (Throne of Glass #4) – Sarah J. Maas | Something In Between – Melissa de la Cruz | Jack & Jack: You Don’t Know Jacks – Jack Johnson and Jack Gilinsky | Crush – Eve Ainsworth | Nerve – Jeanne Ryan | Kindred Spirits – Rainbow Rowell | The Sin Eater’s Daughter (The Sin Eater’s Daughter #1) – Melinda Salisbury | This Modern Love – Will Darbyshire
Bought and sent this month:
* sent to me by publisher/NetGalley
milk and honey – Rupi Kaur | The World’s Wife – Carol Ann Duffy | The Princess Saves Herself in This One – Amanda Lovelace (thank you Nele!) | *Jack & Jack: You Don’t Know Jacks – Jack Johnson and Jack Gilinsky | *Silence is Goldfish – Annabel Pitcher | *I’ll Be Home for Christmas – assorted authors | The Sin-Eater’s Daughter – Melinda Salisbury | The Sleeping Prince – Melinda Salisbury | The Potion Diaries – Amy Alward | The Potion Diaries: Royal Tour – Amy Alward | This Modern Love – Will Darbyshire | Landline – Rainbow Rowell | Kindred Spirits – Rainbow Rowell | The Bell Jar – Sylvia Plath | Room – Emma Donoghue | Nerve – Jeanne Ryan
So, yeah, now I’m on a book buying ban because this is kinda ridiculous.
It’s pretty low that I’ve only written four blog posts this month – I don’t know what’s come over me. I guess me and the ol’ blog had a bit of a low point but I’m working on getting it back strong now so hopefully September is better all around. That being said, I’ve started a new ‘recent reads’ mini reviews feature to hopefully lessen the intense pressure I feel when I’m reading faster than I’m reviewing, so we’ll see how that goes going forward.
top three posts:
a little about life
- I know I can’t stop talking about it but I saw Cursed Child this month!! It was beyond phenomenal and I’m still in awe of the staging and technical aspects. Plus the cast – oh my Merlin they were beyond fantastic. I already wrote a full blog post about the play (warning: spoilers!) but honestly it is mind-blowing. Even though I went all the way to London alone, and watched the play alone, and didn’t get home until gone 2am, I would do it all over again in a heartbeat for this.
- I got the massive opportunity to interview somebody for the first time this month – Jack & Jack, the popular viners-turned-singers. Let’s just say I turned a patchy shade of red all over from nerves in the run up to the phone interview but it went pretty well in the end and feels like such a strangely massive hurdle to cross. If you want to read the interview, you can do so here.
- The end of August has been pretty turbulent, emotionally. I think I’m stressed about starting back at uni and moving back into my flat with new people. Also, there’s that deep dreading feeling of “oh, damn, I haven’t done any work yet” and I don’t actually have any work to do but I can’t help it. It’s overwhelming.
- In completely random and unrelated news, the purple dye I’ve been using recently has been making my hair go green when it fades out but hallelujah it’s finally back to blonde. I’m loving it *hair flick*
How was your August? What plans do you have for September?